Get Infected

My photo
I am but a conduit for the verbal and musical expressions that the universe chooses to channel through my mind and soul.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Juke Box Hero

Ever have that one song that reminds you of the best and worst feelings you've ever had? My first time on stage. I didn't wear a mask. I wasn't afraid. But I missed my cue to start singing the first time. It was for a competition at my school. One of the judges did a show with Foreigner, and the greatest thing ever, was having him come up to me afterwards and tell me how good of a job I did, and how much I had improved since my audition. The song I did? Juke Box Hero by Foreigner. A "friend" of mine, I put friend in quotes because it was more of a mutual dislike but tolerance of eachother, told me I was great after I was done. But it didn't matter how many people told me how good I was, after that night, I stopped singing. We are our greatest critics, a friend once told me, and they were right. Hearing myself, I know I could've done better. That night was the worst I had ever done, and it destroyed me. Ruined me. All my life I've been singing, since I was little and listening to Hotel California (by The Eagles) in my grandmothers truck. I recently talked to an old mentor and friend of mine, we'll just call him B.B. for now, I forgot how long it had been since we talked, he didn't even know I played guitar. But it got me thinking, thinking about everything that I gave up on. The people, the things, the places. The place. If I ever go back to Pennsylvania, it'll be just to walk those streets again. To see the school that helped me develop the code I go by today. If I ever go back to Pennsylvania, it'll be for the memories. The Song of The Day is Juke Box Hero by Foreigner. Readers, no matter how much you want to forget something, never forget your past. Now, I'm a strong believer that a man's past shouldn't define who they are now, it should be his present, but his past has helped make him who he is in that moment. Never forget what has made you who you are.
Readers, what's your song of the day?

Music=Life

No comments:

Post a Comment