Get Infected

My photo
I am but a conduit for the verbal and musical expressions that the universe chooses to channel through my mind and soul.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Darkness Within (Acoustic)

So, as many of you know already, I'm a lyricist. That means that I write song lyrics with the intention of producing music with them or selling them for profit. Now I'm sure right now a lot of you are thinking "That sounds like the easiest shit ever! I'm gonna go out and write a hit song right now!", if only it was that simple. The Song of The Day is Darkness Within (Acoustic) by Machine Head. It's about music. I'm using this to tell you that it's not easy writing good lyrics, it's especially harder to sell them. You need to have inspiration, a story, a strong beat in your head while you write, luck, and I've been told that hallucinogenic drugs can help a bit too (not that I'd know anything about that.). Overall, it's like a minigame in Life. Not the HASBRO board game, but the metaphor of comparing life to some suck ass game where the general public has literally no hope of ever making it to the last godsdamned square. Fucking rich folk and g-men have all the cards with the matching color-squares (10 points for candyland reference! Somebody should pay me for all this advertising. lolz.). I've probably gone through at least 20 different versions before I submit my best work for criticizing from my friends. And they can be pretty harsh sometimes. But I never give up on a set of lyrics or a song. Even if I'm just working with 2 chords and a single verse, I'll keep going till I'm happy with it, and that's what matters. You don't do this because it's some get-rich-quick plan, you do it because you want to. It's just like writing poetry, only with music behind it and it doesn't take 6 fucking hours in a smokey coffee house to listen to ONE GODSDAMNED STORY (ALL CAPS RAGE ON YOU FUCKING SLOW ASS POETS! LEARN TO SPEAK NORMAL SPEEDS!). I'm just putting the final touches on Rocket's song right now as I copy it into my official songbook. Only my best work goes in the song book. The rest gets incinerated along with any original copies.
I also write music to tell my stories, or to let out all of this pent up rage that builds from my environment. Somebody pisses me off beyond the point of no return, I don't murder them and their entire family out of revenge (although sometimes I wish I had), I write a song. When I have something to say that I couldn't say in a regular conversation, I sing it out in a song. I'm not saying it's for everybody, I'm just saying music has power. Whether it's the music in your ipod, or the music in you.
So Readers, if any of you will answer the fucking question this time, what's your song of the day?

Music=Life

No comments:

Post a Comment